Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Water Chestnut Cake


I had the urge to try make something new different today!

So, I searched through my cupboard and found a pack of the water chestnut flour that I had bought sometime back when I spotted it at the Asian supermarket. The image of the delicious pan fried water chestnut cake came to my mind immediately!

The directions of making the cake is printed on the box, which was really convenient so I dont have to go online to search for the recipe! It's pretty simple too! In my opinions, cooking skills level required is zero! So anyone can do it. hehee!

Thus, the boiling, stirring & steaming began. It took less than an hour to get the final product. Very little work to be done. Last half an hour spent was to just leave the cake steaming in the steamer while I watch tv. LOL!

Awhile after dinner, I showed Junyong the water chestnut cake and asked if he would like to have them dessert. Of coz he said yes! :p

So, I cut 4 small pieces and pan fried them with a little bit of oil. After awhile, I noticed the cake hasnt really turned crispy/brown, like I would imagine them to be. I decided to coat the cake in a little bit of flour and pan fry them again. This time, a very thin layer of crust formed but it still wasnt as what I had remembered. I wonder why... :x

I told hubby about this and he said maybe I should have pan fried the cake a little longer with a bit more oil.... I'm thinking maybe I should coat them with a layer of light batter before pan frying. Anyway, tomorrow I shall try both method to see which turns out better. :p

And oh! In case you're wondering what's the white powdery thingy on top of the cake... They're icing sugar and they make the cake taste more refreshing! :)

2 comments:

Gladys said...

my fav! I oways looked forward to this dessert after a hearty buffet at the tanglin chongqing steamboat. Yummy!

Junyong and Eve said...

same here! and the fried bun with condensed milk! yumyum!