Before baking:
After baking:
Is it spelled as Otak or Otah? Or is there even an official correct spelling for this? It's just like some people spell kueh as "kueh" while some others spell it as "kuih".
Anyway, banana leaves were on promotion "buy one get one free", that why I decided to buy the frozen packs (haha! I'm so auntie) and baked Otah for dinner tonight.
Remember my previous attempt that I blogged about? Yes, that was more than a year ago but I never stopped making this every now and then. Just didnt blog about it since they were all done without banana leaves. It's different for this time!
Verdict: I think banana leaves does indeed make the Otah taste much better!
I'm not sure if it's just psychological or perhaps because we had it with rice cooked with coconut milk, that's why it smelled especially nice.
I still have lots of banana leaves left. What can I do with them??
5 comments:
wow looks super yummy. I'm gonna try it some day! hehe...
as for e banana leaves, u can use them to bake/grill fish n prawns with sambal and lots of onions. think stingray wif sambal. Yum Yum!
oh my, super yummy! can i get the recipe for otah and curry puff from you?
Gd idea Gladys! Never crossed my mind. hehe! thanks!
Ilane - sure!
Here's the curry puff recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-curry-puff/
For the otah, there's no fixed recipe, usually I will buy fish meat paste, mix with sambal chilli/red curry paste, lime juice, a little bit of fish sauce, some coconut milk and bake at 350°F for about 25-30mins.
wah, you even know how to make otah just like that?! Thanks for the recipe, will try out when I'm back.
I was using that rasa malaysia website to make a lot of things back in LA! Gonna try out the curry puffs one day. I prefer the Old Chang Kee type though.
Banana leaves can make a lot of kueh!
Post a Comment