Monday, 10 December 2007

Crispy Roast Pork



Sometime ago, we had a finger food potluck with all the friends over here. One of the friend made Roast Pork which got us all hooked! I asked him for the recipe and he said he found it online!

Oh... wonders of the internet! What would I do without recipes posted online...

Anyway, I found out that it's actually pretty manageable. Just marinate the piece of pork belly meat with sugar, salt and five-spice powder overnight and bake + broil it in the oven for 40mins in total.

I have a little problem with the oven in our apartment, especially when broiling stuff. It always create too much smoke that it sets off the smoke detector. So I had to open the oven door by a little bit and monitor the meat closely, in case it gets burnt.

I asked dear to help me chop the meat into smaller pieces using the big chopper. This reminded me of the scene when I was young, I would go to the wet market with my mum to buy roast pork and charsiew. The uncle would be wearing a dirty & oily apron and chopping the pork into smaller pieces before packing them into plastic bags for us. keke!

The roast pork tasted so-so only. It's sweet but not salty enough. I should have been more generous with the seasoning. The skin was not crispy enough too. Should have broiled the skin for much longer. I dont think it was a success. Will try again next time.

And next time, I must be extra careful to select a less fatty piece of pork belly. So sinful!

No comments: